Friday, April 8, 2011

Not your typical youth group


Besides the work I am doing with my 2 community organizations (which is still moving at a snails pace) I also have the opportunity to take on what is called “secondary projects”.  There are all kinds of things that I could do as secondary projects.  But Peace Corps Mozambique has 2 national secondary projects, JOMA and REDES, that I have decided to become involved in. 

JOMA, is essentially a youth group, comprised of both guys and girls.  It’s goal is to prevent HIV/AIDS and promote gender equality and healthy living.   JOMA groups often discuss issues of gender, sexual health, HIV/AIDS, violence prevention and community development.  Besides discussing these various issues, my JOMA group will also be trained in theatre and hopefully will use their training to promote gender equality and HIV/AIDS education and prevention in the community. 

REDES, is a group for young girls only.  It’s goal to promote the healthy development of young women in Mozambican society.  REDES groups provide a space for young girls to talk with each other about various issues they may be facing such as: sexual health, HIV/AIDS, violence, gender inequality, etc.  My REDES group is also a dance group.  They will teach me Mozambican dances and I will teach them American dances!

Both of my groups are very strong and excited and I look forward to working with them.  My Mozambican counterpart, the Mozambican working directly with me is also very excited and dedicated.  She also works with me at one of my organizations and is a good friend of mine.  She is very knowledgeable in the areas of HIV/AIDS, gender and facilitation. 

Nevertheless if my experience in working with youth has taught me anything… it is that we will all have a fantastic time and probably all grow to be better people!

No comments:

Post a Comment