Friday, April 8, 2011

Dancing with Criancas (children in Portuguese)


Last week I rode my bike out to visit one of women’s groups that is connected with my organization.  I have kind of taken upon myself to work with these women, providing them support and guidance...as well as just hanging out with them. 

When I arrived at the women’s group there were not that many women but there was a bunch of kids there.  When I sat down the leader of the group told me that these kids wanted to be part of the youth group that I also work with and is also connected to the women’s group.  I asked how old the kids were and she said that most were 9 or 10 years old.  I then turned to the kids and told them that they were too young to be part of the youth group but that we could start a children’s group, which they all seemed to like.  There were a lot of smiles. 

When I asked what they wanted to do in their group.  They told me they wanted to start a dance group.  Now I was the one smiling.  They must have known that I LOVE to dance!   We talked and decided that it would be a Mozambican/American dance group.  I would teach them American dances and they would teach me Mozambican dances.  We would also spend a good amount of time doing activities that will build their self confidence and such. 

No comments:

Post a Comment