Sunday, March 13, 2011

Inspiring Women!


In honor of International Women’s Day I thought I would share with you some well known women who have and continue to inspire me.  ps there are many women in my own life, that I know personally that serve as inspiration and support for me.  You know who you are and I love ya…


Harriet Tubman aka “Woman called Mosses”:  freed slave, Abolitionist, feminist and bad ass

Harriet Tubman is one of my all time favorite historical figures.  As a young slave in the American South, she detested slavery and all forms of oppression and violence.  She ran away and then once freed, returned to the South numerous times to help other slaves escape North via the underground railroad.  She was famous for saying to the runaways she was helping escape “Just keep going! When they are coming after you…keep going.  When the dogs are chasing you…keep going.  When they are shooting at you….keep going.  Just keep going!”

Eleanor Roosevelt:  civil rights activist, feminist, lesbian?,..oh yeah and First Lady

Eleanor Roosevelt is another one of my favorites.  She elevated the cause of the poor, women, workers, children and Black Americans to a national level.  She was a strong supporter of civil rights and social justice.  She played an active role in the formation of the United Nations and was the architect of the United Nations Universal Declaration of Human Rights, a document that expresses basic fundamental human rights.  A document that I believe is a guiding light for peace and justice throughout the world.  

 Jane Addams: social worker, social justice activist, pacifist, rabble rouser

Jane Addams is arguably the most famous and influential social worker ever.  Addams started Hull House, in Chicago.  Hull House was the first ever settlement house in the nation, but was soon replicated all over the country.  Addams and the Hull House provided support and counsel to the poor in the community.  Addams also was a huge figure in the peace movement and was active in fighting for woman’s suffrage, civil rights, workers rights and immigrants rights.  It is her practice of social work, both direct service and activism that inspired me to become a social worker and that I hope to use as a social worker myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment